We will be using my new book and tutoring curriculum program called: Why Can’t We Teach Children to Read: Oh, but Wait We Can, A Step-by-Step Plan for Teaching Your Child to Read.
We will provide free curriculum for any volunteers who would like to help tutor this summer. The curriculum uses the vowel clustering teaching method, and it is easy to use. So far students in previous years in the program have made excellent progress.
- A 15-year-old, who failed for 9 straight years, learned to read in 3 ½ years.
- A fifth grader, reading at the 2nd and 3rd grade level, moved up to the sixth-grade level in reading in only 21 weeks with one-hour, once-a-week tutoring.
- A second grader mastered difficult vowel sounds through online tutoring.
Vowel clustering works with all ages.
- Vowel clustering teaches students to break words down into letter sounds.
- Vowel Clustering improves fluency and comprehension.
We are still making plans to reopen the reading clinic in the fall. We are searching for grants and funding. We would like to hire 10 university students to work as tutors for our Reading Orienteering Club program in the fall. If you know of organizations or grants that we might apply to for financial assistance, please let us know. For more information, contact: Elaine Clanton Harpine at 361-867-8040 or email@example.com